come to seek and to be found by Love that never ends.
We meet every Friday, but our events vary. First Friday is our main prayer meeting: ADORATION. The other three Fridays we split between Encounter.Friday, Encounter.D-Day (Dive Deeper) and various monthly events: outreach and evangelization, Misericordia (nursing home and hands on ministry), weekend or one day retreats and trips, cultural events (concerts, Cinema Divina), social events such as parties and dances.
Every first Friday 7:00 - 8:30 pm
Everybody is welcome. Family friendly.
Taize chants, adoration with silence and prayers, confessions, Lectio Divina, chanted Complete (Night Prayer), occasionally praise and worship and the end.
Learn more about Adorations HERE.
There is always an event after Adoration. See ADORATION page or EVENTS for more details.
7:00 - 10:00 pm
Everybody 13 yo and up is welcome.
WORSHIP and PRAYER (15 min)
Employs mostly contemporary praise and worship, with occasional chanting and traditional hymns. Our focus during worship: to encounter God, enter into His presence and dwell in it. Spontaneous prayers, intertwined with praise and worship, intercessory prayer for each other. Occasional LOTH chanting.
TEACHING (30 min)
Short, interactive teaching, integrating relevant life issues with reality designed by God. No-nonsense approach. Zero boredom. Integrated with the current series (see below)
ENCOUNTER. GROUPS (60 min)
Facilitated by older teens and include sharing, focused discussion, Lectio Divina and prayer; the outline of each session is prepared in advance by the overseers of Encounter. Small group facilitators are trained and equipped on a monthly basis.
CURRENT ISSUES (15 min)
Discussion related to current social, cultural, religious or political issues. Prepared and led by teens.
HANG OUT (60 min)
Conversations, snacks, games.
7:00 - 10:00 pm
Encounter.Groups Leaders and all 16+ and young adults in their early 20's who:
- are passionate in their search for God in all aspects of life
- entrusted their life to Jesus, and although are struggling, are committed to follow Him as growing and commissioned disciples and are determined to resolve all barriers that stand between them and their loving Creator
- want to go deeper in prayer, especially in their personal, daily life; topics will include: personal prayer plan, discernment of spirits, prayer for healing and deliverance, intercession, prayer for designated area
- who are ready to commit to weekly Bible Study, and systematic Bible reading on their own: developing habits of studying the Bible for devotional and spiritual benefits as well as for widening intellectual capacities
- are ready to become transparent and vulnerable in order to reach out to the challenges of life and to grow in grace and knowledge that they are loved and cherished
- who are wanting to grown in the area of leadership development, including: how to lead a small group effectively, evangelization 101
- want to recognize and develop their charisms: DISC or other personality test with spiritual implications, encouragement and accountability in developing gifts and charisms; establishing an intercessory prayer team which will pray for people during and after Adorations
PRAYER AND PRAISE & WORSHIP (15 - 30 min)
We pray as long as the Holy Spirit leads us.
BIBLE STUDY WITH TEACHING (30- 60 min)
Going deeper in studying about the issues relevant to a spiritual personal and communal development.
GIRLS/GUYS GROUPS (30-60min)
Sharing, questions, discussion, intercessory prayer, accountability.
ENCOUNTER.GROUPS LEADERS (30 min)
Organizational issues. Snacks.
Comment: This evening is for those who are not searching mostly for social interaction but for those who are actively seeking spiritual growth and are able to discipline themselves and pursue intense challenges and are taking seriously art of listening to others as well as are open to relationship based on intentional giving and receiving.
Keith and Iwona are founders of MajorChange, non-profit organization. MajorChange is engaging in leadership development, outreaches and media that encourage metanoia in all aspects of life: from seeking and receiving fierce love to sustaining and sharing God's grace, ultimately helping people to reach happiness.
They belong to St. Peter's parish in Steubenville since August 2010.
Overseers work as volunteers and are not compensated financially, neither do they expect to be, since freely they were given the greatest grace of knowing God and freely they give away, considering it a privilege to be able to serve. Small fees are charged for deep2deep courses to cover the cost of printing materials and snacks. If you would like to DONATE to our work, we would be very grateful.
SMALL GROUP LEADERS
He appointed twelve [whom he also named apostles] that they might be with him and he might send them forth to preach and to have authority to drive out demons.
Each small group is led by two older teens or young adults and has no more than eight people, including the leaders.
COLLEGE STUDENTS and ADULTS
College students and young adults are welcome. If you were a part of a parish/diocesan community, movement, homeschool co-op, Catholic school or a youth group, you might find Encounter. Friday meeting very suitable.
We are not a typical youth group, although the majority of our Friday meetings are attended by teens (for now). Adolescence is a process of maturing, recognizing ones vocation, training for adulthood and as such is not bound by strict age limits. We operate from the premise of accepting anyone who feels drawn to Encounter., because our focus on relationship with God and each other in that order enables us to build a community formed by trust, vulnerability and poverty of heart that seeks happiness.
Encounter. wouldn't be possible without the help of a few families who consistently assist with time, energy, skills, advice, supervision and presence.
We stay in close contact with the parents and families of the teens. Weekly email updates include recaps and info about upcoming events. Occasional parent meetings, casual or more formal, are held throughout the year. Certain events are very family friendly.